Advanced Seismic Field Acquisition Techniques
Instructors: Albin Krekes / Alam Lembang.
Locations: Houston, Texas / London, UK / Dubai, UAE / Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Who should attend?
The course is recommended for Exploration Managers, Geologists and Geophysicists involved in the acquisition, processing and the interpretation of seismic data.
This four-day course will provide an inside view of fundamental concepts, methods and equipment used in seismic field acquisition as it relates to exploration. Being the most expensive part of a seismic venture its importance is emphasized in the practical, the scientific and the cost-efficient points of view. Understanding these fundamentals of seismic field acquisition will result in better data processing and superior interpretation of the results.
- Introduction: The value of information.
- Fundamentals: Review of basics in exploration seismology and related physics.
- Borehole Seismic: Sonic logs; Synthetics; Check-shot surveys; VSP and seismic while drilling.
- Marine Seismic Survey Methods: Terminology; The streamer; Explosive and implosive sources; Marine vibroseis; Marine 3D; Multi-source, multi streamer, multi-vessel, wide azimuth methods; Circular and coil shooting; Ghosting; Dual sensor techniques; Ocean bottom stations and nodes; Marine seismic parameters and designs; Quality control
- Seismic Design Strategy: The geological database; The velocity function; Optimum spread design; Sample rates; Multi-fold sub-surface coverage; Resolution; Emergence and beaming; Amplitude and spectral decays; Non-hyperbolics; Migration aperture; Array designs; Source receiver and recorder selection.
- Field Tests and Parameter Optimization: Acceptance tests; Receiver optimization and the stack-array concept; Impulsive source optimization; Vibroseis optimization; Sweep designs; Redundancy and the signal-to-noise ratio; HPVA techniques; Noise tests and noise classification; Filtering; The dynamic range and resolution; The seismic scatter and scatter analyses; Spectral analyses; Repeatability studies.
- 3D and 4D Concerns: Marine and land 3D; Binning; Acquisition footprints; Broad and narrow distribution of fold, azimuth and offset; Cross-equalization; Migration stack fold; Wide and narrow azimuth array designs.
- Seismic Correction Issues: Weathering corrections; Datum corrections; Uphole surveys; Shallow refraction surveys; The half-intercept method; Crossover velocity concept
- Cost-efficiency Issues: RFT preparation; Bid evaluation; Flexible-effort acquisition technique; On-site client representation
- Health Safety and the Environment: Explosives; Vibroseis; Drilling; Heli-portable operations; Fluvial operations; Safety and environmental issues in rainforest, deserts and the arctic regions.
Number of Participants: Max 20
Course Format: Classroom exercises and presentations
Houston - Advanced Seismic Field Acquisition Techniques
The course is administered at the Preffered Bank Building in the Energy Corridor, hotels near by and many restaurants to choose from.
For other cities the location to be determined.